Tesco Community Grants helps to fund thousands of local projects across the country. Since 2016 the scheme has supported over 36,000 community groups with more than £85million in grants. The scheme aims to make a positive difference – because where our communities thrive, our business and our colleagues thrive too.
How does Tesco Community Grants work?
Tesco Community Grants is always open for applications from charities and community organisations to bid for up to £1,500. Three projects in 575 local communities are voted on by customers in Tesco stores throughout the UK, with projects changing every three months.
Apply for a grant
Read the guidance notes
Before applying, we recommend that all applicants read the Guidance Notes, and FAQs for more detail about the grants and project eligibility.
Find your local store
Enter your project’s postcode into the store locator on the Tesco website. You need this information for your application form.
Complete the eligibility checker
This short quiz will check that your project meets the basic requirements for funding. If it does, you will be then given a link to the application form.
Who is eligible to apply?
Grants will be awarded to voluntary or community organisations (including registered charities/companies), schools, health bodies (e.g. Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCGs), NHS Hospital Trust, Foundation Trust), Parish/Town Councils, local authorities and social housing providers.
This list is not exhaustive and there will be many other types of organisations that will be funded.
Applications are not eligible from:
- Community Interest Companies with shares (CIC’s)
- Community Interest Companies with guarantee that are less than two years old
- Profit-making organisations
What types of projects will Tesco Community Grants fund?
Applications are open to all local good causes but we are focussing on projects supporting young people, those providing food and local causes close to our colleagues hearts.
- Breakfast clubs
- Holiday clubs
- Food banks
- Equipment or non-statutory services for nurseries or schools e.g. forest schools, library books
- Equipment for Brownie, Guide or Scout Groups e.g. camping equipment, badges
- Play areas
- Counselling and support services
- Activities to support mental health
- Equipment/kit for sports teams
- Services or equipment to support health issues such as cancer or dementia
- Equipment for village/community halls
Do we need match funding?
Tesco Community Grants can fund 100% of your project costs so you do not have to have any match funding. However, if you secured additional funding, there is no limit to what this amount can be and any funding awarded by Tesco can form part of your wider project costs.
Projects that are ineligible
- Work that has already taken place
- Political donations
- Fundraising activities or challenges (e.g. costs for a sky dive etc.)
- Running costs and organisation overheads
- Conferences or seminars
- Activities which collect funds for redistribution to other charities or individuals
- Overseas appeals
- Expeditions or overseas travel
- Promotion of a religious or political cause
- Marketing promotions
- Research projects
- Projects or activities that the state has a legal obligation to provide
Alternative and accessible formats
If you experience or anticipate any barriers with our application process, require help to make an application, or accessing our services and information, please contact the Groundwork Tesco Programme Team to discuss the type of support we can provide.
Tesco Community Grants have supported thousands of community projects since 2016.
Find out what has been funded near you: